Sunday, June 28, 2009

New York

I spent last weekend and half the week in New York City with my daughter. It was our first time to visit. She had to work. I played. I was asked before I left what plays I planned to attend. I made no such plans, and did not see any. I also did not visit any museums. It rained every day we were there, and due to our location and her working hours, there just was not time. Our hotel connected to Grand Central Station. That was pretty cool, and I enjoyed exploring it at different times of the day. The morning we flew out we went there for breakfast, as I did most days, and we got to see the thousands of people coming in from the trains headed to work. Watching that mass of humanity move through was fascinating for both of us. Just like rush hour on a freeway, everyone was moving at the same steady clip. I studied the flow for awhile and saw that the pattern of movement was just like water. If one person moved to the side to go around an obstacle like a kiosk or trash can, or take a short cut, others quickly followed, creating a new "stream" of humans. I liked New York, and would like go back.

Our last afternoon in New York we walked to Central Park. It was nice to see some green leaves and flowers. We actually bumped into a man from West Monroe while there. Our last evening we took a cab to Little Italy for dinner. That was an adventure. Elisabeth documented our trip in pictures here: http://picasaweb.google.com/EAE000/TheRestOfNYC?feat=email#

Back home on the hill, it is hot. My poor pot plants are all getting plenty of water, but it is so hot that some of them are getting their roots cooked. I am working hard at keeping those areas on the grounds watered that have promise of flowers to bloom, and those that have already bloomed, so I will be able to harvest seeds.

Tomorrow morning I will go in for a Bravo pH test set up. It is a high-tech method of monitoring gastric reflux. They tell me I won't feel a thing. If the same nurse puts the IV in my hand as last time, I know I will have a sore paw for a couple of days. Otherwise, I suspect I will sleep all day after Terry gets us back home.

No comments: