Monday, April 12, 2010

New Orleans

I am in New Orleans for the Louisiana Garden Club Federation state convention this week. I spent today on the pre-convention tour. We boarded buses at the New Orleans Botanical Garden in City Park this morning and toured three gardens in the garden district. Each home had the landscape architect that did the grounds on hand to tell us all about it. All three were magnificent homes, but I only found one of the gardens to be a little interesting. We had lunch on the grounds at Longue Vue Gardens, and walked around the gardens there. I was able to get lots of Louisiana Iris pictures. I needed some those because all my pictures are from years ago and are slides. I was glad to get some digital pictures of one of the most spectacular Louisiana native flowers. We were bussed back to the botanical gardens for tours there, and I got some more pictures of different things. It is amazing how both gardens have recovered from Hurricane Katrina, both the wind and the flooding. However, things are able to grow year-round down here, so it grows twice as fast.

I bailed out before the bitter end and came back to the hotel and collapsed for a little while. Later I went out to eat with friends at Commander's Palace. I had never eaten there before. I had Crawfish and Tasso Mac Choux and Ponchatoula Strawberry Shortcake. It was all good!

Here is a link to pictures I took today. Pardon the iris enthusiasm.

New Orleans

No comments: